Sunday, October 09, 2005
Posted by philgomes 3:50 PM
A Rough Early PR Blog Timeline
A Rough Early PR Blog Timeline
This past week, quite a conversation erupted when Stephen Baker called Steve Rubel the "doyen" of PR bloggers.
Not that it really matters, but here's a list of some of the earliest blogs either from PR people or about PR, in order of date of first post. I've constrained it to 2003 and earlier. It also suffers a bit from my own rusty memory.
I don't do a lot of chest-beating on this blog, but I think a timeline here is relevant.
- August 3, 2001: Phil Gomes (I'm proud to say, though please speak up if there are earlier ones and I'll post them here. You might also want to talk to Sam Whitmore at MediaSurvey, who said in his subscriber newsletter that I was the first to spot blogging as a "transformative force" in PR.)
- March 2002: Tom Murphy (Though his archive appears to be down.)
- July 27, 2002: Kevin Dugan
- September 9, 2002: James Horton Added 10/11/2005
- December 13, 2002: Neville Hobson Added 10/10/2005
- January 31, 2003: David Parmet (This is his personal blog. He makes a distinction from his PR blog, started in Feb. 2005.) Added 10/9/2005
- February 2003: Ryan May (Minnesota PR)
- May 2003: Niall Cook (Link to archive is down.) Added 10/10/2005
- May 8, 2003: Robb Hecht Added 10/9/2005
- July 2, 2003: Jeremy Pepper
- July 3, 2003: G2Blog (Written by yours truly when I was with G2B Group — now Dryden Marketing Group — though I can't reproduce the archive here for legal reasons. Sorry, Constantin. Incidentally, Constantin's first post in January 2004 means he narrowly missed this list, but deserves mention anyway.)
- July 8, 2003: Stuart Bruce (
Alas, he had a blog on Blogger.Com before that, but I can't find it. Jeremy points out the April 24, 2003, post on Stuart's old blog at Blogger.Com, pointing out that it was more of a political blog back then.)
- August 5, 2003: Elizabeth Albrycht
- August 7, 2003: Richard Bailey Added 10/11/2005
- August 8, 2003: Philippe Borremans Added 10/10/2005
- November 20, 2003: Trevor Cook Added 10/10/2005
If you're a PR person and have had a blog that started in 2003 or earlier, send me a note. I'll add you to the list above and provide the date you were added. Please supply a permalink to your first post.
UPDATE: This comment pretty much hit the mark. (And, no, the "Richard" here is very likely not Richard Edelman!)
UPDATE 2: Check out TheNewPR Wiki. Constantin Basturea has put this list up there such that we can have a truly canonical list.
HOME | OBSESSIONS | FAQ | HEROES | CAREER | BLOG | CONTACT
Note that the views expressed on this site do not necessarily reflect those of Phil's employer, its business partners, its clients, or anyone or anything that doesn't come from Phil.
ABOUT THIS BLOG
This blog not only discusses PR and media matters, but Phil's everyday observations about a variety of topics.
COMMENT AND TRACKBACK POLICY
Comments and trackbacks are unmoderated, though I will delete the patently offensive ones.
Any comments and trackbacks are the opinions of the individual writer of those comments and trackbacks, and not those of Phil Gomes, his employer, its clients, or its business partners. If you have a bone to pick, bug the people who wrote the comment or trackback.